Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Best Laid Plans

"The best laid plans of mice and men go oft awry." Our day was all planned. Once again, Mick and I were going in different directions. He had to go to Lexington and Winston-Salem to deal with the estate matters and I was left to deal with packing. I know the original plan was to pack one day and take the next off. When it comes to packing, I've discovered that there is no equity, not every one gets a day off. My plan was to drop Nick off at daycare, run to Kohl's and then work on packing clothes with Denis.



Plans are subject to change. Nick went to daycare. I went to Kohl's. On our list of "things to get" was jeans. In that I'm a plus-size, rubinesque, pleasingly plump, whatever the politically correct terminology, Kohl's is a good place to buy "fat girl" jeans. So I got the jeans and another suitcase, we're currently planning on 7.



Plans are subject to change. Denis had called and said that her daughter was ill and that she was on her way to the doctor. I taped my carton and began folding clothes. I folded and folded and folded. When Mick returned around 2:30, I was just finishing my one carton. It's really amazing how many articles of clothing will fit into one of the cartons. The current count on the cartons is 13. We have a little more than a week to finish this task. We've moved the ship date up to August 9. I want it finished before next weekend. Mick still thinks that we'll have 2 lift vans; I'm hoping for 1. For all those who can move with only a couple of suitcases, God bless you; you are truly special people. In actuality, I think perhaps Mick could be one of you; however, he has me, so there is conflict.



Even though we plan, things don't always work out exactly the way we want, they work out the way they're suppose to. We're not fretting; we'll get everything done. We're retired and moving to Ecuador.



Until next time,

Mick and Kathy

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are not fretting about the amount, and how others have done the move. You will be happy you have what you have, and there will be less ajustment anxieties with your own stuff around you... we brought our feather pillows and summer weight down comforter... made us feel like home where ever we were! See you in Cuenca!

    ReplyDelete