Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Transformed to ECUADOG!

This morning started at 4AM. I was on my way to Atlanta to the Consular of Ecuador's office. After having Nick's health certificate endorsed by the USDA, it had to be legalized by the Ecuadorian Consulate. My flight was to leave at 7:15. It was 7:45 when we left. Hartsfield was as it usually is...busy.

In addition to the embassy in Washington, there are consular offices in various American cities. The one in Atlanta is located in an office building at 5505 Roswell Road. I expected flags and guards as with an embassy; however, there was simply a plague at the entrance to the building.

This is Patricia Boezio who is originally from Cuenca. She is a Consul Ad-honorem, which means that it is not a paid position. She is standing in front of a painting by her favorite Ecuadorian artist, I believe his name is Guayasamin. She was extremely cordial and was delighted to be of help.
My driver for the excursion was Aymar Hizekiel. He dropped me off and picked me up later.

Below is the prize that we sought. The back of Nick's health certificate was stamped with holographic stamps with monetary values totaling $50, which is the amount paid by money order. This one and all copies were stamped with the consular seal and signed by Patricia.
I made it back to the airport in plenty of time for my 2:45 flight back to Charlotte. Of course, it did not happen at 2:45. We were an hour late leaving this time. "Delta is ready when you are!"
Charlotte was a happy sight when I finally got here. I made it home by 5:15.

Today, Nikolas was transformed to Ecuadog, and he doesn't know the difference.

Time is really speeding up; we've less than a week now. We've shipped our things and legalized Nick. The one big thing remaining regards the estate. The sale of the house did not happen in a timely manner and is still uncertain; as a result, Mick is giving power of attorney to a friend in order to close on the house and the estate, whenever that may be. Our plans were too far along to change as this point and we all wanted to go down together. This is best. We'll be in Cuenca next week! Unbelievable!

Until next time,
Mick and Kathy

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I did my undergrad study at Queens University of Charlotte (formerly Queens College) in Charlotte and LOVE the city! I'm sure we'll see you at one of the expat events here! We're all excited that you're moving to Cuenca and hope you have a safe and wonderful journey! Feliz viaje!

    ReplyDelete